- You can download Instagram Reels from your own account by tapping the reel’s three-dot menu and choosing the save option.
- There’s no feature built into Instagram to save other users’ reels, but there are a few simple workarounds.
- You can use the Screen Recorder app on your iPhone or Android to record an Instagram Reel, or use one of several third-party apps to save it.
Reels may be one of Instagram’s hottest features, but the app doesn’t make it especially easy to save and view those videos on your own terms.
If you want to save an Instagram Reel you published with your own account, that’s simple to do. But if you want to download Instagram Reels you found from someone else’s account, there’s no way built into Instagram to do that — but there are some simple things you can do to capture those videos anyway.
How to download your own Instagram Reels
If you’ve published your own Reel on Instagram, it’s easy to save a copy to your phone’s photo roll.
1. Start the Instagram app and then tap your account icon at the bottom right.
two. tap the reels icon or select View archive, depending on what’s visible on your phone. You should see all your published reels.
3. Open the reel you want to save.
4. tap the three-dot menu on the right side of the screen.
5. In the pop-up menu, tap Save to Camera Roll or Save Video.
How to download Instagram Reels through screen recording
There’s no built-in tool for saving or downloading reels published by other Instagram users, but you can simply record the reel you want to save using the Screen Recording app on your phone. Whether you have an iPhone or Android device, here is how to do that.
1. Start the Screen Recorder app, which you can find by swiping down from the top of the screen to see the Control Center or Control Panel. The iPhone app will start recording automatically after a short countdown, but on Android you might need to swipe right to enable audio recording and then tap start.
two. While the Screen Recorder app is counting down to start recording, start the Instagram app and open the reel you want to record. There’s no need to rush; you can edit it later. Let the reel play through entirely.
3. Swipe down from the top and stop the recording.
4. Open the recording and then tap Edit.
5. Use the timeline control at the bottom of the screen to trim out the unwanted parts of the video from the start and end of the recording.
6. When you’re satisfied with the edit, save your finished video. On the iPhone, tap Done and then choose save video. On Android, simply tap save copy.
How to download Instagram Reels using a third-party app
Using the third-party app, you can download and save reels directly to your phone without recording the screen. Not all apps work effectively, though, and some subject you to a lot of in-app ads or pester you with requests for in-app purchases and monthly subscriptions. With that in mind, we have found a couple of apps that work reliably and for free — one for iOS and one on Android.
1. Install InstantSave on your iPhone from the App Store.
two. Start the InstantSave app.
3. tap Open Instagram and log into your Instagram account if needed.
4. Find the reel you want to download.
5. tap the three-dot menu at the top right and, in the popup menu, tap copy link.
Go back to the InstantSave app. You might need to watch an ad. After it’s done, close the ad if necessary and you should see the reel. tap save to save it to your phone.
1. Install Video Downloader For Instagram on your Android using the Google Play store.
two. Start the Video Downloader For Instagram app and, in the Top Apps section, tap the Instagram icon. Log into your Instagram account if needed.
3. After the Instagram app launches, find the reel you want to save and tap the Download icon at the bottom right.
4. In the pop-up window, tap download.