Adele calls the reaction to the Las Vegas residency cancellation brutal

Placeholder when loading item promotions

LONDON — Adele spoke about the “brutal” backlash and guilt she faced after deciding to postpone her stay in Las Vegas earlier this year, saying she was “a shell of” in the months following her announcement one person”.

In an interview with BBC Radio 4, the singer said that while she’s sticking to her decision to postpone her visit to the Colosseum at Caesars Palace from January to April, the consequences are heartbreaking.

“I definitely felt everyone’s disappointment, and I was devastated, and I was scared to let her down,” she said, adding that all she could do was “wait and grieve.”

In January, Adele took to Instagram just 24 hours before the residency opened, telling her followers she had no choice but to cancel the series of weekend shows that fans around the world had booked tickets for.

“I’m so sorry, but my show isn’t done yet,” she said, wiping away tears.

“I’m so sorry, it was impossible,” she said, explaining that the production team was devastated by “shipping delays and Covid.”

Many fans supported the star despite the unexpected announcement, sending heart emojis and encouraging messages, but others – particularly those who had booked flights from other countries – slammed her for not notifying.

“It was horrible,” she recalled in the interview, which aired on Sunday.

Tearful Adele postpones stay in Las Vegas: “I’m so sorry, but my show is not ready”

Tickets to the residency have been selling for anywhere from a few hundred dollars to $30,000 on resale sites, Forbes reported last year.

In the apology video, which has been viewed more than 20 million times, Adele said the shows would be postponed. On Friday, she told ticketholders the dates would be announced “very, very soon.”

Adele’s comments to the BBC came amid two big performances in her hometown of London over the weekend – her first concerts in five years. “Who’s ready for tomorrow!?” the star teased on Instagram ahead of her first show on Friday.

After six years without a new album, Adele was back with “30” in November. The single “Easy on Me” was released in October and quickly broke Amazon Music and Spotify records.

She said writing new music got her through the “most turbulent” period of her life, including her divorce from Simon Konecki, with whom she has a son, Angelo.

Speaking to the BBC, she said the two remained friends and approached their split “with grace”.

“Over my dead body is my child who had a messy divorce in their lifetime,” Adele said. “There’s no problem.”

When asked about the backlash and widespread interest in her weight loss, the star said exercising regularly has helped her focus and provide an outlet as she struggles with her mental health. She said she was aware some fans felt “betrayed” by her slimmer frame, but that she did it for herself.

“I felt terrible for some people who felt like other people’s comments meant they weren’t good looking or that they weren’t beautiful,” she told host Lauren Laverne, adding that comments accused her of committing herself She didn’t mind adapting to the pressures women face to be slim.

“You don’t hold my hand at 4 a.m. when I’m screaming my heart out in fear and need a distraction,” she said.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: